This is a working draft of a study guide. Please feel free to send suggestions for questions!
- Why did immigrants from Sweden and Norway find an appeal in the notion that Vikings/Norsemen had once visited the American Midwest?
- Why were so many of Minnesota’s Catholics willing to believe in Holand’s rune stone narrative?
- What strategies did Halmar Holand use to persuade the public that the Kensington Rune Stone was authentic?
- What does the story of the Kensington Rune Stone reveal about cultural tensions among Americans based on things like region, education level, race, class, etc.?
- The author argues that belief in the Kensington Rune Stone and its accompanying narrative is “religious.” What does that mean and do you find his argument to be persuasive?
- Why do you think that origin myths or founding myths have been so appealing to Americans?
- Why do you think it is that humans are often willing to believe things that contradict science?